UPDATE! This post has been updated with a 2016 version. Go see who made the Top 10 Best Vegetarian Eats in Austin for 2016!
While Austin hosts the top barbecue joints in the nation, Austin still manages to be one of the top vegetarian cities to live in. With such active inhabitants and health enthusiasts, it’s no wonder vegetarian restaurants flourish in this city.
It wasn’t easy, but I managed to narrow down my top 10 Vegetarian spots in the ATX.
Best Vegetarian Eats in Austin
1. Bouldin Creek Café: 1900 South 1st St. Austin, TX 78704
- Atmosphere: Unique “Austin” atmosphere with quirky interior, nice front patio and bar spots for drinks and small bites.
- Best for: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch
- What to get: Zucchini Migas or Veggie Chorizo and Egg Tacos
2. Mother’s Cafe and Garden: 4215 Duval Street, Austin TX 78751
- Atmosphere: Nice large rooms with home-y feel. Located by other cute restaurants and coffee shops on Duval Street.
- Best for: Lunch or Dinner
- What to get: Spinach Mushroom Enchiladas with Spicy Cashew Chipotle Sauce or Spicy Tempeh Enchiladas.
3. Blue Dahlia Bistro: 1115 E. 11th St. Austin, TX 78702
- Atmosphere: French style restaurant/café with quaint interior and peaceful outdoor patio.
- Best for: Lunch, Happy Hour or Dinner with a few friends
- What to get: Black Bean Salad with Cumin Vinaigrette (add the Vegan Pesto on the side) or Smoked Salmon Tartine
4. Eastside Café: 2113 Manor Rd. Austin, TX 78722
- Atmosphere: Adorable house that was turned into this cafe. Lots of sunlight and a home-y feeling.
- Best for: Lunch
- What to get: Baked Brie with Apple Chutney and Artichoke Manicotti
5. Mr. Natural: 1901 E. Cesar Chavez St.
- Atmosphere: Small store with Mexican Vegetarian options. Order at the counter and sit-down, or take your food to go. Bakery goods are made with whole wheat and natural sweeteners.
- Best for: Lunch or pastries
- What to get: Check online for their daily lunch specials and fresh empanadas
6. Aster’s Ethiopian: 2804 N. I-35 Frontage Road, Austin 78705
- Atmosphere: A medium-sized hole in the wall with a family owned vibe. The décor gives you an Ethiopian feel and service is of the kindest in Austin.
- Best for: Groups of friends and share your meals
- What to get: Keyi Miser (spicy lentils), with three sides: Fasolia Wott, Atakelt Dott, and Bedergan.
7. Counter Café: 626 N Lamar Blvd Austin, Texas 78703 or 1914 East 6th Street Austin, Texas 78702
- Atmosphere: Small diner and local feel. (Lamar location, I haven’t been to the East location yet!)
- Best for: Lunch
- What to get: Roasted Vegetable Sandwich or Counter Veggie Burger
8. Foodheads: 616 W. 34th St. Austin, TX 78705
- Atmosphere: House turned into a quaint sandwich shop. Order at the counter and find a seat on the patio
- Best for: Lunch
- What to get: Chicken and Eggplant sandwich (ask for it without the chicken)- comes with goat cheese, basil pesto, spinach, tomato, & blackberry balsamic vinaigrette
9. Koriente: 621 E 7th St., Austin, TX, 78701
- Atmosphere: Reserved interior, tucked away from the bustle of East 6th St.
- Best for: Dinner
- What to get: Obake Bowl A with tofu or Jap Chei. Can sub rice for brown rice or sweet potato noodles with no charge.
Hungry for more?
Vegan? Check out Jennifer’s top Vegan picks in Austin.
Find more of the best places to eat at the AFBA City Guide. You’ll find the best places for Vegan, Indian, Burgers, Tacos, Fried Chicken, Ramen… you name it. Or check #atxbesteats for more!