Austin is well known for it’s weirdness, live music, good food, growing tech scene and for being just plain fun. It’s a town full of free-spirited and passion-driven young adults. And there is no shortage of delicious drinks and outdoor patios.
There are a lot of great spots in town. Somehow, I managed to narrow down to my top 10 places to enjoy a drink in Austin!
Please note: I definitely enjoy a good cocktail, beer or wine. However, I also enjoy drinks that won’t cost me an arm and a leg. Therefore, the places below may not be the “hottest” or the “fanciest” because… well, I ain’t rich.
And to be honest, if I received $100 to spend at a fancy cocktail bar or a chill restaurant patio, I’d choose the chill patio. When I see $12 cocktails, some alarm in my Asian soul goes off . But that’s just my style. And that’s my disclaimer.
Now… here are my top 10 favorite places to drink in Austin! At all of these places, you will find delicious drinks, a great atmosphere, and drinks $10 or below.
- 2307 Manor Rd Austin, TX 78722
- Why? Think outdoor backyard feel, sangria that will change your life, and homemade pasta in case you get hungry.
- What to get: Sangria ($5 for glass, $10 pitcher). Anyone who knows me has heard me talk about this sangria. It changed my life and it will change yours. I’ve been to Spain, but something about BB’s sangria is magical. Grab the red sangria with friends and relax on the lawn.
2. Salty Sow
- 1917 Manor Rd, Austin, TX 78722
- Why? Think buzzing atmosphere, best happy hour in town, and top-notch drinks that will leave you buzzin’.
- What to get: A tie between…
- Curly Tail ($8)-Pepe Z, cilantro, serrano, blood orange, smoked salted rim
- Blanche ($7)- house blood orange frozen margarita
- Mr. Shaw ($8)- One Tree Jasmine Green Tea Liqueur, Bullet Rye Whiskey, honey, lemon
Or just get all 3? I’ve done it before, and I believe in you.
- 79 & 81 Rainey St. Austin, TX 78701
- Why? Think beer garden, huge patio, live music (certain nights), craft beer and homemade sausage if you get hungry.
- What to get: Beer. ($5-8) You get to choose from the largest tap wall in Austin. Best of luck.
^^ How Austin is this picture? I spy a beard, athletic clothes as brunch attire, a bachelorette party, UT colors, a dog, and a woman with red hair. We are just missing tattoos and some live music…
4. Easy Tiger
- 709 E. 6th Street, Austin TX 78701
- Why? Think craft beers, housemade sausages, big german pretzels, cheese, and ping-pong.
- What to get: Beer. ($4.50-6.50) Again, a large selection with 33 draft beers. And get a big pretzel to soak it up!
- 5520 Burnet Rd, Suite 100. Austin, TX 78756
- Why? Think bright atmosphere, great happy hour, and top-notch drinks. The bar manager Kevin Kok makes all the ingredients in-house, including the ginger beer, syrups and fresh juices. His margarita is my favorite in all of town!
- What to get: Margarita de Peached ($9)- habanero infused tequila, thai basil, cointreau, lime juice
6. Corner– Patio Bar at JW Marriott
- 110 E 2nd St. Austin, TX 78701
- Why? Think modern decor yet comfy, prime people-watching, and a great outdoor area.
- What to get: Jalapeño Hibiscus Margarita ($10)- tanteo jalapeno tequila, organic hibiscus reduction, fresh lime and orange, smoked salt rim
7. Clay Pit
- 1601 Guadalupe St. Austin, TX
- Why? Think Mango-Ginger-Habanero infused vodka. That’s all you need.
- What to get: The Chakra Drink- spice infused vodka (see above), coconut water and lime.
- 1900 S. First St. Austin, TX 78704
- Why? Think eclectic, weird Austin atmosphere, relaxed patio, and fun sake-tails and champagne cocktails.
- What to get: Bangkok Saketail- Muddled basil, ginger, honey, mint, lime with Sake and a splash of Topo Chico.
- 218 W 4th St, Austin, TX 78701
- Why? Think hipster coffee bar with a lounge feel, summer cocktails, and delicious espresso cocktails.
- What to get: Chocolate Espresso Martini ($10)- Vanilla vodka, chocolate Godiva, expresso
10. Shady Grove
- 1624 Barton Springs Rd. Austin, TX 78704
- Why? Think… 100 degree day in Texas and you just got out of Barton Springs or playing volleyball at Zilker. You need a margarita stat… Shady Grove has a special place in my heart because of amazing Austin days like these. Plus, its got your classic Austin vibe!
- What to get: Frozen Rita with sangria swirl ($6)
If you ARE looking for those fancy schmancy cocktails (and there’s nothing wrong with that), definitely check out Roosevelt Room, Whislers, Drink Well, Peche, Geraldine’s, or Weather Up. And if you’re paying, I’m in!
Looking for a great patio to enjoy your drinks on? Check out Emily’s Ultimate Guide to Austin Patio Life.
Looking for beer? Here is Craft Taste’s Comprehensive Guide to Beer in Austin