Last March, I did a post on the best vegetarian eats in Austin and it’s time for an update. It was tough competition– a few establishments made the list again, but I ate at some new spots that had me drooling.
Here are my 2016 picks for top 10 vegetarian eats in Austin, TX!
- 621 E 7th St., Austin, TX, 78701
- Why? Think healthy, delicious Asian food, $8-$10/entree, large portions, quick service, cheap beer, free miso soup, veggie filled bowls, and plenty of tofu. You can also substitute white rice for brown rice or sweet potato noodles (or half rice/half noodles)!
- What to get: Obake Bowl A or B: Pan-seared tofu or shrimp sauteed with button mushrooms, broccoli and carrots. Served with steamed rice.
Or Shittake Tofu bowl- a comforting vegan dish that’s a savory blend of tofu, shiitake & button mushrooms in a miso-soy sauce served over a bed of spring greens, green cabbage and a side of rice.
- 504 West Oltorf, Austin TX 78704
- Why? Think family owned, loving and passionate owners, Organic and natural Moroccan food, incredible flavors, BYOB (!), and falafel crumble that belongs on everything.
- What to get: The Sleek Vegetarian- Salt Crusted Grilled Eggplant, Tomato Reduction Sauce, Fried Egg, Falafel Crumble & Greens on Fresh Baked Bread
- 525 N. Lamar Blvd, Austin TX 78703
- Why? Well, because it’s Whole Foods. And mind you, it’s the one below the corporate office, aka… taco station, sushi bar, make-your-own bowl bar, and trattoria– all with great vegetarian options. Also, the salad bar and hot bar will blow your mind.
- What to get: Vegan Chorizo taco at the Taco Alley. Load it up w/quinoa, grilled veggies, kale, black beans, potatoes, and/or queso. + whole wheat tortilla.
Or the hot/cold salad bar:
- 1900 S 1st St, Austin, TX 78704
- Why? Think hipster Austin, laid back, great atmosphere, great veg food, creative drinks.
- What to get: Fajitas Italianas — Roasted portobellos sautéed with zucchini, onion and garlic. Served with chopped local tomatoes, green leaf lettuce, chipotle pecan pesto, warm tortillas and salsa. With a side of vegan cornbread.
Pictured below is one of their appetizers with the chipotle-pecan pesto mentioned above. Yum!
- 5908 Aurora Dr., Austin, TX 78757
- Why? Think creator of Austin’s famous Grandma’s Humus (if you are familiar, get familiar asap.), local, and the freshest of fresh tzatziki, hummus, falafel, and more.
- What to get? Falafel Wrap- Falafel freshly fried, layered with Grandma’s humus, fresh tabouleh salad, and in-house tahini sauce, wrapped in a pita. And mine as well throw in the baklava. *this is my go-to for picnic lunches to-go!
Check out that amazing VEGAN falafel! And delicious Grandma’s Humus and Baba-ghanoush!
- 115 E. 11th Street Austin, TX 78702
- Why?: Think quaint atmosphere, large delicious salads, and a vegan pesto that is to die for.
- What to get: Black Bean Salad- w/avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, lime, mango, corn, bell pepper and a cumin vinaigrette. Add vegan pesto on the side.
- 13187 Fitzhugh Road. Austin, TX 78736
- Why? Think outskirts of Austin, peaceful hills, next door to Jester King Brewery, family friendly and pizza and garlic knots that almost make me cry, every time.
- What to get: The Beatrice- Stanley’s Own Béchamel Sauce, Fresh Mozzarella, Goat Feta, Oyster Mushrooms, Baby Arugula, Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (pictured on left)
- 6619 Airport Blvd. Austin, TX 78752
- Why? Think family owned, true Mediterranean and Greek cozy setting, traditional floor seating (also have table seating, but the floor is fun!), pizzas that can swallow you, and fresh mediterranean entrees.
- What to get: Vegetarian Mesa Platter- Hummus, baba ghanouj, fattoush, tabouleh, dolma and falafel. Served with pita bread.
- 206 East 4th Street. Austin, TX 78701
- Why? Think most delicious breakfast ever, acai bowls loaded with fruits and superfoods, and good lookin’ Austin yogis.
- What to get: It’s a struggle every time I’m there. Read the menu and get what fits your mood. For example, The Beach Bowl has a blend of acai, mangos, coconut water topped with hemp granola, strawberries, blueberries, coconut shreds, and local honey
10. Counter Cafe
- 626 N. Lamar Blvd. Austin, Texas 78703 (or in East Austin)
- Why? Think diner feel, but with fresh organic and local ingredients, and (in my opinion), the best veggie burger in Austin.
- What to get? Counter Veggie Burger- Quinoa, lentils, black beans & beets, combined with roasted veggies & spices served grilled on a wheat bun with your choice of side.
So there ya go. What are your favorites? What other vegetarian restaurants in Austin do I need to try?
Want more vegetarian eats? Take a look at last year’s Best Vegetarian Eats
Want to know where the Best Salads in Austin are? Check out Food Fash’s great collection.
Want to know where the Best Indian Food in Austin is? Check out Mad Betty’s post. Lots of Indian restaurants have vegetarian options!