I have been enjoying this Coconut Black Rice Pudding for the last few days, multiple times a day. The nutty and chewy texture of the black rice is irresistible, especially when you add a tad of sweetness and some coconut cream.
This Black Rice Pudding is a delicious vegan and dairy-free dessert, but do you want to know the best part of this black rice pudding?
I didn’t even make it! There’s a new cook in the house – I thought the day my boyfriend would change up his cooking would be the day pigs fly. This man could eat plain baked chicken breast and raw kale for dinner every night, and not even blink an eye.
The times have changed. He wanted to experiment in the kitchen and this black rice pudding was one of his first experiments. I could definitely get used to this :)
This traditional Balinese dessert, babus injin, stood out because it is a relatively healthy dessert!
Purple rice is high in antioxidants and similarly to brown rice, the outer bran of the rice is kept intact, retaining it’s fiber content. Purple sticky rice does not have amylose (which makes it sticky), which helps slow down digestion and lower insulin levels.
I am pretty sensitive to sweetness, and this pudding had just a hint of sweetness.
With the amount of rice we made, we only added ¼ cup of brown sugar. I also added peaches because well, summer just isn’t quite the same without some Texas peaches!
To me, the real treat comes with the coconut cream. This added the creamy, milky, and satiating taste that I crave. Just dollop some coconut cream on top and dig in! Mmmmm!
Recipe adapted from Asian Inspirations:
- 1.5 cups dry sticky purple rice
- 6.25 cups water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 can coconut cream
- ⅛ tsp vanilla extract
- Salt, to taste
- Wash rice thoroughly, until water runs clear. Add water and soak overnight on the stove top.
- The next morning, add vanilla extract and bring rice and water to a boil. Simmer uncovered for about 40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so. (should have a pudding-like texture)
- Add sugar, mixed well until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. Once cooled, place in refrigerator.
- While pudding is cooling, mix coconut cream and a dash of salt in a bowl. Serve on top of pudding! (can be served warm or cold).