This Grilled Mexican Street Corn Salad is made with fresh grilled corn and is the perfect summer salad! It is a take on the classic esquites found on the streets of Mexico and is so refreshing and comforting.
I’ve always LOVED corn on the cob, and I get so excited each time summer comes around and there is a plethora at the stores and markets. We’ve been at the farmer’s market each weekend in Portland and loving all the seasonal produce available. We lived in Austin and Chicago the last 8 years, and while we love those cities, the farmer’s markets on the West cannot be beat.
As a kid, we would stick our corn pokers to the sides, and smother it with butter and salt. In my adult years, I was introduced to elotes – grilled corn on the cob smothered with a slew of mayonnaise, chili powder, butter, cotija cheese, and/or lime! The recipe here is closer to esquites, which are very similar to elotes, but the corn is removed from the cob and served in a cup.
First: Shuck and grill the corn. Rotate about every 2 minutes.
This will take about 8-9 minutes. Once cooled, use a sharp knife to remove the corn. (and obviously, gnaw on the cob to not leave any kernels behind!)
Next, chop the green onions, jalapeño, cilantro, and avocado.
I chose to use green onions over red onions to temper the bite. However, you can use either! Also, I de-seeded my jalapeño, but adjust the seeds to your spice preferences :)
Add Cotija cheese, mayonnaise, lime and chili powder.
I don’t typically eat mayonnaise because of the ingredients and also the texture, but I started using Primal Kitchen’s Garlic Aioli Mayo and love that there are only 8 ingredients and are all whole ingredients. I only use a tablespoon and the small amount is helpful with my weird texture issue!
Lastly, mix it all together!
How easy was that?
Keep the salad cool and serve cold. The salad is SO good on it’s own, or you can use it as salsa to top off tacos, like in these Grilled Shrimp Tacos with this Mexican Street Corn.
Want to make this plant-based friendly?
- Sub Primal Kitchen Mayo with their Vegan Mayo
- Remove Cotija cheese (or sub for your favorite vegan cheese)
- Add black beans! (optional, of course)
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 4 ears corn
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 avocado, sliced in cubes
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese
- 1 tbsp Primal Kitchen Garlic Aioli Mayo
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Shuck and grill the corn over high heat. Rotate every 2 minutes (this should take about 8-9 min total)
- Once the corn is cooled, use a sharp knife to cut off the kernels. Place in a large bowl.
- Chop/slice green onions, cilantro, jalapeno and avocado. Add to the bowl.
- Add crumbled cotija cheese, mayo, lime, and chili powder.
- Mix well to combine and serve cold!