I’m on another kale kick. I go in spurts of eating of kale with everything, and then not wanting kale at all. But we’ve reached 100+ degrees, so I am trying to not use heat to cook.
This Sweet and Spicy Kale Salad is a similar version to Green Kitchen’s Sweet and Spicy Kale salad, but I added my own spin on it!
This base of this recipe has been made countless times in the past few years. I have made a few personalized tweaks from the original recipe that I received back in 2013.
I use less sugar, more greens, and a few extra veggies.
The extra veggies really just depend on what’s in the fridge. This day, it was shrooms!
I swear, this salad has converted kale-haters into kale-lovers.
First, you’ve got the sweet. The dressing has a bit of brown sugar and soy sauce. I also add apples for a fresh crisp and tad of natural sweetness.
Second, the spice. The red pepper flakes add a slight kick. It’s noticeable but very subtle.
Third, the nuttiness. Here, I used pine nuts, but I often make it with toasted almonds.
This recipe is so simple. I would not be surprised if it becomes a part of your staple recipe book. It’s also a perfect way to introduce people to kale! They will love it!
Looking for another Kale salad? One of my favorites is this Kale and Farro Salad!
Sweet and Spicy Kale Salad
- 2 bunches of Organic Kale
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 cups Organic Romaine hearts
- 6 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 1 small Honeycrisp Apple
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup pinenuts
- Chop kale and place in a large salad bowl. Massage with olive oil for 3-4 minutes, until bright green.
- Add chopped romaine, chopped mushrooms, and chopped apples to salad bowl.
- In a small pan, toast pinenuts in olive oil, until they start to brown.
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped garlic cloves, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and red pepper flakes.
- Add brown sugar and heat until melted. Once you start to see a slow boil, remove from heat.
- Pour over salad and serve with pine nuts ! (If dressing is too warm, place salad in refrigerator for a 10 minutes)
Oven Roasted Kale and Chickpeas - The Fresh FindAugust 12, 2020 at 11:28 pm
[…] Sweet and Spicy Kale Salad […]