Summer is almost here which means so many delicious fruits come into season. I can’t resist those dark, plump cherries at the farmer’s market or a juicy watermelon on a hot summer day! Yummmm…
How to pick out a watermelon:
- Shape: Pick one that is symmetrical. If it is lopsided or narrow on one end, it might have grown in a tight area and possibly have been restricted from water.
- Color: Try to pick one that is a deeper green and one that is not pale
- Field spot: This is a large splotch of creamy-to-yellow, where the melon sat on the ground. The deeper the color, the longer the melon was on the vine, maturing and producing sugar. Avoid white or pale green field spots.
- Weight: Get one that is heavier for it’s size. This indicates that it is full of juice!!
In April, I went to my friend’s Easter family lunch and had a watermelon mint salad that was so delicious and refreshing! We later found out it was a version of Paula Deen’s recipe. Much to my surprise, the recipe was still quite healthy!
Over the weekend, my friends and I recreated this salad for one of the party appetizers and it was just great. It was so simple and quick to make… I highly recommend this recipe to bring to a party or barbecue. My apologies for the pictures… I had to use my phone!
Watermelon Mint Salad
1 5 lb watermelon
1 sweet onion (cut in rings)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
4 oz feta cheese
1. Chop the watermelon into chunks
2. Add the onions, vinegar, oil, mint and feta cheese
3. Toss and serve! It’s that simple!
And while you are eating this delicious salad, know that you are getting these benefits!
Benefits of Watermelon
- It is about 92% water which helps hydrate the body
- It is low in calories, sodium and fat!
- High in Vitamins A (eye health), C (immunity and cell damage), and B6 (brain functions and energy)
- Holds the highest concentration of lycopene than any other fruit/vegetable. This antioxidant helps in heart disease and preventing certain types of cancers
- Source of potassium: helps in muscle and nerve function, and maintains electrolyte balance