I made these Beet Veggie Burgers the other week and they were AMAZING. I made 10 patties and they were gone in no time.
I gave and took some tips from other recipes to come up with this recipe. I packed these babies with black beans, quinoa, and Chia seeds for an extra hearty patty!
If you’re not a fan of beets, don’t worry, they didn’t taste super beet-y. But it does make for a beautiful burger and packs some extra fiber, vitamin C and folate in your meal!
[poop-talk alert] I will warn you, these beet burgers will make your poop a bright pink or red. DO NOT PANIC! It’s just the beets… and your digestive system flowing well! :)
I made it EXTRA delicious with:
- seeduction rolls (from Whole Foods)
- mashed avocado
- massaged kale and lime
- and rosemary sweet potatoes
All of that created an overwhelmingly delicious meal. These patties are also good on their own! I ate these for a few days without a bun.
I had some for breakfast with an egg on top, and also for lunch with avocado and a salad.
In order to make the patties, I put all the ingredients in one large bowl and mixed it up with my (clean) hands. It is easier to feel the texture when you form patties.
Initially, it was hard to get the patties to stick together, so I added another egg (2 eggs total) and more whole wheat breadcrumbs.
Once the patties are formed, I pan-fried them with a tad of coconut oil. You can also bake them, but the pan frying gives it a delicious crisp.
If you aren’t going to eat all the patties right away, I recommend saving them in your fridge uncooked. When you are ready to eat, pop them in the pan and serve them fresh!
Here’s how to make ’em!
Beet Veggie Burgers
- 2 cups roasted beets
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1 Tbsp Chia seeds
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp coconut oil per patty
- FOR TOPPINGS:
- 1/2 bunch kale
- 1 lime
- Peel and cube 3 large beets. Roast at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, or until a fork can poke through easily.
- Use 2 cups of roasted beets and place in a food processor. Process until finely chopped (don't puree fully because you want texture).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beets, black beans, quinoa, onion, garlic, Chia seeds, breadcrumbs, and spices. Mix well.
- Add 2 eggs and mix with hands. (add more bread crumbs slowly if patties are not sticking together)
- Form into patties, about 3 inch diameter.
- Heat coconut oil in pan. Pan-fry patty 3-5 minutes per side, until crispy on both sides.
- For the lime kale, massage kale with olive oil and squeeze with 1 lime.
- Serve with mashed avocado, lime kale and choice of bun!