These Oven Roasted Kale and Chickpeas are the most satisfying salty, crunchy, and healthy snack. They are super easy to make and are delicious on top of salads and bowls!
Who else loves kale chips? I absolutely LOVE love them. But has anyone else bought their $6 bag of kale chips, and only a short 2-3 minutes later, they are all gone?! Maybe I just eat them too fast, but making my own at home is a game changer. (and a money saver!)
I love to roast kale and chickpeas together to add additional crunch and variety to the mix. They are such a satisfying crunchy, salty and nutrient dense snack – especially in quarantine!
To roast the chickpeas:
I like to dry the chickpeas (if using canned) overnight, or a few hours in advanced. Juuuuust to make sure they are EXTRA crispy (!). I drain the chickpeas in a colander, lay paper towels on the bottom, and let them dry out for a few hours or overnight.
For the simplest version (which is my favorite), toss the chickpeas in olive oil and salt. Lay on a baking sheet, and bake for 30-40 minutes at 425 degrees. You can use other spices like cumin, smoked paprika and garlic, but I’m quite happy with simple olive oil and salt.
To roast the kale:
Wash the kale and remove the stems. Cut into 1-2 inch leaves. Massage with olive oil and sesame oil for 1 minute. You want it to turn a vibrant green, but not lose too much volume.
Lay on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds. Roast at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Keep a close eye on the kale, it toasts up QUICK!
Let the chickpeas and kale cool slightly, and place in a bowl/platter as a snack. I also love to save some and top off my salads and grain bowls with these crunchies. I highly recommend!
To store these roasted kale and chickpeas, (if you can resist eating it all right away), let it cool completely and place in an air-tight Tupperware.
Looking for something else?
- Delicious and bright Kale and Farro Salad
- Sweet and Spicy Kale Salad
- Black Rice Salad with roasted veggies
Roasted Kale and Chickpeas
For roasted chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas (15.5 oz)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
For roasted kale:
- 1 bunch kale
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
For the roasted chickpeas:
- Drain chickpeas and place on a paper towel. Pat dry (or allow to dry a few hours in advanced)
- Toss chickpeas in olive oil and salt.
- Lay on a baking sheet, and bake for 30-40 minutes or until desired toasting, shaking pan at half way.
For the roasted kale:
- Wash kale and remove the stems. Chop into 2-inch leaves
- Using clean hands, massage kale with olive oil and sesame oil for about 30 seconds, until bright green but still has volume.
- Lay kale on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds.
- Roast for 10-12 minutes. (Keep a close eye!)