Most people who know me know that I LOVE kale. I eat kale pretty much every day, in a variety of ways. I love pairing kale with an ancient grain to give a nutty, chewy contrast. This Kale and Farro salad is hearty, veggie-packed and so delicious.
This Kale and Farro Salad is very easy to make. It’s a variety of raw veggies, olive oil, red wine vinegar and a touch of salt and honey.
On massaging kale…
I’m still amazed at how many people chuckle when I talk about massaging kale. Before eating raw kale, it’s important to massage it to break down the tough fibers so your body can properly digest it. Also, it makes the kale less bitter and tastes better!
I typically massage my kale with CLEAN hands and a quarter size of olive oil. Simply massage the kale (just as you would imagine). You will see it turn to a more vibrant green. (you can see the contrast below in the raw bowl vs. finished salad.)
Farro is an ancient grain, and although it is not gluten-free, it is incredible healthy for you. It has a good amount of fiber, protein and nutrients. It has a delicious nutty and chewy texture that I can’t get enough of.
When you cook the farro, don’t forget to salt the cooking water.
During this time, the salt will absorb and make the farro so much more delicious. For this recipe, I used 1 cup uncooked farro which yields about 3 cups cooked.
In addition, once I chopped the red onions, I let them soak in red wine vinegar for about 15 minutes. I learned this from Samin Nosrat of Salt Fat Acid Heat. (I’ve been IMMERSED in this book this week!! I’m learning a ton!) This ‘macerates’ the onion, meaning ‘to soften’ in Latin, which softens the harshness of raw red onion. It also adds a nice acidic zing to the salad!
This Kale and Farro salad will definitely become a staple meal in our house. It is super nourishing, healthy and simple. It makes for a light salad, but packed with fiber, nutrients and bright flavors. I hope you enjoy!
Kale and Farro Salad
- 1 bunch kale (I used Lacinto Kale)
- 3 cups cooked farro
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup parsley, chopped (loosely packed)
For the dressing
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cook the farro: Fill a medium pot half full of water with 1 tsp of salt and bring to a boil. Add farro, then reduce the heat and simmer until the farro is tender and chewy, about 30 minutes. Drain excess water. (1 cup uncooked yields about 3 cups cooked.)
- For the dressing: Add olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, salt and pepper to a small mason jar. Shake to combine.
- Dice red onion and place in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar to macerate for 15 minutes.
- Wash kale, remove stems and chop leaves.
- Halve tomatoes and place in a bowl. Sprinkle a pinch on salt on them.
- In a large bowl, pour half the dressing over the kale, and massage for 2-4 minutes
- Add in tomatoes, onions, chopped parsley, farro and rest of the dressing.
- Toss well and serve!