This crispy sweet potato hash is one of my favorite things to add to our brunch plate (slash buffet). This isn’t your hash with cubes of sweet potatoes – it’s a hash that will remind you of those salty, crispy hash browns from your childhood.
This sweet potato hash is SO easy to make, I can hardly even call this a recipe. All you need to do is shred the sweet potatoes and place them in a hot cast iron with avocado oil and sea salt.
You only need 3 ingredients: sweet potatoes, avocado oil and sea salt.
First, shred 2 sweet potatoes in a food processor. I use my Hamilton Beach food processor and it makes shredding so much easier. If you can, do this the night before, and place the shreds in a sealed container with paper towels. This will help dry up any moisture and you’ll get an even CRISPIER hash. Always more crisp, please.
Next, put 2 tbsp of avocado oil in the cast iron and crank the heat, until it starts to smoke. (Or, you can flick water into the pan, and if it sizzles, it’s ready.)
Use 3 cups of the mixture and place in the cast iron, and DON’T TOUCH. Let it sit for 4 minutes, and then you can flip in portions. I typically flip in quarters.
And that’s it, you’ve got yourself a crispy sweet potato hash! We mostly eat ours with a scramble of eggs, veggies and avocado.
We’ve done so much with sweet potatoes for breakfast – this crispy hash, sweet potato waffles, sweet potato latkes, sweet potato biscuits, and most recently, sweet potato BAGELS. Stay tuned for those recipes!
Crispy Sweet Potato Hash
- 2 sweet potatoes (medium sized)
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Shred the sweet potatoes in a food processor (using the shred setting). See tip below on doing this the night before.
- Heat the cast iron with 2 tbsp of avocado oil.
- Add half of the shreds to the cast iron (about 3 cups worth). Spread the shreds evenly on the pan, and don't touch!
- Sprinkle salt, if desired. I use about 1/4 tsp per hash.
- After 4 minutes, you should see the bottom start to brown. Flip the hash in quarter portions. Let it cook for another 3-4 minutes to get crispy.
- Repeat again with the rest of the shreds. This recipe makes about 2 full crispy hashes.
- Serve with eggs, veggies, avocado, or your choice of toppings!