This creamy cashew Alfredo is everything you need for some comfort. It’s rich, creamy, garlicky, coconut-y, and absolutely delicious. I added it to some roasted spaghetti squash, roasted broccoli, tomatoes and it was divine.
Whether it be the middle of Winter, or in the middle of this COVID-19 crisis, we could all use a little comfort some times. It is a weird time right now, and I’ve had a mix of emotions. Scared of the danger, frustrated with cancelled travel plans, worry for my family and friends, heartbroken about the deaths, angry at the government, sad for small businesses and lost jobs, and fear of the unknown.
However, I’ve cried happy tears reading and seeing the selfless acts of others, felt thankful for my job, laughed with distant friends through video calls, and taken time to slow time and do things I love. Like cooking, trying new recipes, and taking photographs.
I’ve lost touch with this side of me, and it has been fun to bring it back to life. I’ve made a slew of recipes the last week, and I’m so excited to share them with you!
This creamy cashew Alfredo is made with cashews, coconut milk, roasted garlic and nutritional yeast.
Not to mention, it is Whole30 compliant and vegan. It’s hard to stay active when we’re inside all day, so it helps that this creamy cashew Alfredo is lighter and healthier than a typical Alfredo. However, not any less delicious.
First, you’ll soak the cashews in water for 20 minutes and you’ll see them plump up. Drain the water and place them in the food processor with water, coconut milk, garlic, nutritional yeast and salt.
I used a whole roasted garlic bulb, which adds a sweeter garlic taste, and is one of my favorite ingredients. The nutritional yeast adds a nutty, cheesy and creamy flavor.
Pulse to start off, then gradually move to a higher setting to create a smoother texture.
Use the creamy cashew Alfredo sauce with your choice of pasta, or with spaghetti squash like I did here. I roasted the spaghetti squash at the same time as the roasted broccoli and roasted garlic, which made the dish a lot easier!
I typically make spaghetti squash with a tomato meat sauce, however, I loved this variation and I know I’ll be making it again soon. What is your favorite way to eat spaghetti squash?
Creamy Cashew Alfredo with Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 4 cups broccoli
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes
For the Creamy Cashew Alfredo
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk (canned)
- 1 bulb roasted garlic
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Halve the spaghetti squash and chop the broccoli into small florets. Toss/coat with olive or avocado oil. (see notes for links on How to Roast Broccoli and How to Roast Spaghetti Squash)
- Roast spaghetti squash face down for 40 minutes. When squash is done, "pull" with a fork.
- Roast broccoli for 35-40 minutes.
For the Creamy Cashew Alfredo
- Soak cashews in water for 20 minutes. Add enough water to cover the cashews by a few inches.
- Drain cashew water and place cashews in food processor.
- Add water, coconut milk, roasted garlic, nutritional yeast and salt to the food processor. (see notes for How to Roast Whole Garlic)
- Pulse to combine. Bring to a higher speed to puree and create a smoother texture.
- Mix with roasted spaghetti squash, broccoli, tomatoes. Or mix with your choice of pasta and veggies!