I made this Whole30 Thai Coconut Chicken Curry the other night and, oh. my. goodness. It was all the comfort, creaminess and warmth that I could ever ask for.
It’s snowing today in Austin, which is crazy, and I plan to have many bowls of this steaming hot curry.
Last November, I traveled around Thailand and Cambodia and ate my heart out of curries and noodles! This dish had me so satiated and brought me back to that delicious trip. I seriously wish I could swim in bowls of the green and red curries I ate in Thailand.
It’s week 3 of Whole30 and going pretty well! There have been a few frustrating days, but I’ve realized that for the most part, my meals aren’t that much different than the Whole30 requirements. However, I am very excited that it has gotten me to try new recipes and change up my routine!
This curry will definitely be incorporated to my standard recipes from here on! I adopted the recipe from Danielle Walker’s Instant Pot Thai Chicken Stew. However, since I’m one of the VERY few people in the world without an Instant Pot, I tackled this Whole30 Thai Coconut Chicken Curry via stovetop.
Make sure you check the labels on your ingredients! I was irritated to see that some chicken broths have sugar in them. Here are the brands that I used:
- Red Curry Paste – Thai Kitchen
- Coco Aminos – Big Tree Farms
- Organic Tomato Paste – Whole Foods 365
- Organic Coconut Milk – Whole Foods 365
- Organic Chicken Broth – Whole Foods 365
Most of the work is in prepping the veggies and meat – and the rest is very simple!
Some of my other favorite Whole30 recipes:
Whole30 Coconut Chicken Curry
- 4 Organic chicken drumsticks
- 2 Organic chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp ginger chopped
- 4 cups veggies broccoli, zucchini, bell peppers
- 3 Tbsp. approved Red Curry paste I use Thai Kitchen
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. coco aminos
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can 13.5oz coconut milk, full fat
- 3/4 cup chicken broth check the label!
- On a cast iron skillet, heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil. Brown the drumsticks, turning occasionally, about 8-10 minutes total. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil and sauté garlic, ginger and onions until onions soften, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add red curry paste, tomato paste, coco aminos, and cayenne. Stir until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, chicken broth, chicken drumsticks, and veggies. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- While the curry is simmering, cut the chicken breast into thin slices (<1cm wide).
- After 25 minutes of simmering, add the chicken breast slices. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes, until chicken breast is cooked through, but not overcooked!
- Remove from heat and serve with cauliflower rice and chopped cilantro.
Easy Roasted Broccoli - The Fresh FindMarch 21, 2020 at 4:02 pm
[…] love this so much, we actually go through 1 and a half bags EACH week! We roast it, or throw it in coconut curries, or […]
Miso-Tahini Soba Noodle Bowls - The Fresh FindNovember 10, 2020 at 12:22 am
[…] Thai Coconut Chicken Curry […]