Happy 2018! 2017 was a whirlwind, and the holidays were deliciously indulgent. And now… I’m on Whole30.
I decided to attempt Whole30 because I read It Starts with Food last year and absolutely loved it. Of all the books/documentaries I’ve watched on food, this one most closely aligned with my views. Melissa breaks down the science of food and your body (but not too science-y), the hormonal impact, and includes mindfulness and listening to your body.
The first 2 days of Whole30, I was really irritated. I was sick the week before, and I was not prepared with the proper groceries or inspirational recipes. My food was SUPER boring the first two days, and I didn’t think I was going to make it! However, I went to the grocery store and stocked up. I discovered coconut aminos (YUM), and some delicious recipes that I can’t wait to share!
The first week of the new year was freezing, so I made my typical Carrot Ginger soup – but added a zing of cumin, turmeric, and a healthy dollop of coconut CREAM. Oh yes, the full fat cream.
I also like to add Go Raw’s Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds because it adds a nice crunchy texture to the soup. A little more fat and nuttiness, I’m in!
This recipe is Whole30 approved, paleo, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan … am I forgetting anything??
I hope you enjoy this! I’d love to hear any recipes that you are making on Whole30!
Whole30 Carrot Ginger Soup
- 2 lb carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1 Tbsp. chopped ginger
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- Coconut Cream for topping
- Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds for topping
- Chop garlic, ginger, onion and carrots.
- In a large pot, sauté garlic, ginger and onion in avocado oil (or any fat) until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add cumin, turmeric, cayenne, and carrots. Stir fry for about 3-4 minutes.
- Fill the pot with water, just until the carrots are covered.
- Bring to a boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use a hand blender to blend it all together!
- Serve with a dollop of coconut cream and sprouted nuts. (optional)