We already know how healthy avocados are. We also know how this cream fat can make anything delicious. However, did you know you can also eat the avocado SEED?
If you’re anything like me, I toss out the avocado seed without a second thought. After reading this, you might think again!
Benefits of Avocado Seeds
This small seed is SO GOOD for you because it is loaded with:
- Antioxidants: These critical nutrients fight off unwanted free radicals. They provide support for your heart health, immune system, and nervous system.
- Polyphenols: This is the ingredient in green tea which may play a role in the prevention of cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
- Soluble Fiber: Fiber aids in digestion, bowel movements, and can lower cholesterol.
- Potassium: Potassium helps maintain normal blood pressure and regulate kidneys.
- Anti-inflammatory agents: The seed has many anti-inflammatory properties which may help with swelling, joint pain, and stiffness.
Read for more benefits of avocado seeds. Now that we know how healthy the seed is, let’s get it into your diet!
I don’t have a dehydrator so I decided to bake it. I baked the avocado seed at 400 degrees for about 90 minutes. This is how it came out…
Second: Peel & Cut
Peel off the flaky outside and cut the seed in half. It should be hard, yet also have a “chewy” feel. Dice into pieces as small possible.
Throw the pieces into a food processor and chop/grind. It will turn into a grainy, wheat bran-like texture. Soon, it turned almost powder-like.
Add the avocado seed powder to smoothies or an acai bowl. You will add an extra punch of nutrients and you won’t even taste it.
I added the avocado seed powder (thanks to my food processor) to my smoothie and it came out incredibly creamy. And I mean REALLY creamy. With just a tablespoon of powder, my smoothie turned into creamy treat!
Have you tried to use the avocado seed? Tell me how you have incorporated it into your meals!
Avocado Seed Smoothie
- FOR THE POWDER:
- 1 avocado seed
- FOR THE SMOOTHIE:
- ½ banana
- 1 c almond milk
- 1 cup kale/spinach
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 1 tbsp avocado seed powder
- 1 tsp Chia
- 1 tsp coconut
- FOR THE AVOCADO SEED POWDER
- Dehydrate the seed at 400 degrees for 90 minutes.
- Peel and cut the seed into small pieces
- Using a food processor, grind the seed into a powder.
- FOR THE SMOOTHIE
- Blend banana, almond milk, and protein powder.
- Add kale/spinach and avocado seed powder. Blend until well combined.
- Top with Chia seeds and coconut flakes.