This Vietnamese ‘Spring Roll in a Bowl’ with peanut sauce is SO refreshing with all the fresh vegetables and herbs. These bowls are easy to make, and a perfect lunch or light dinner.
We made Vietnamese spring rolls the other night, and I was trying to figure out what we could do with the leftovers on Sunday. I knew I was making more peanut sauce because someone licked it CLEAN last night. I was thinking of some sort of rice noodle salad, and literally jumped when I thought of spring roll bowls and naming them… Spring Roll in a Bowl!
It’s cheesy, but I couldn’t get over how catchy it sounded. ‘Vietnamese noodle salad with peanut sauce’ is the alternative name. Which, does the trick, but doesn’t roll off the tongue as nice, right?
Anyway, I made a new peanut sauce, but this time, made with RX Nut Butter. If you haven’t tried RX Nut Butter you MUST. It has a hint of sweetness from dates, and is addicting. Full disclosure, I work at RXBAR, but even if I didn’t work there, I would still be hooked.
The peanut sauce is simple. Peanut butter, hoisin, lime, ginger, sesame oil and mirin.
I changed it up from my 5 ingredient easy peanut sauce by adding sesame oil and mirin, and changed the lemon to lime. They are both good, but I loved the addition of toasted sesame oil.
Plus, there is minimal cooking involved in this recipe.
You’ll cook the noodles for 1 minute and boil the shrimp for 2 minutes. Other than that, chop up your fresh veggies and herbs, and voila. (I use this WAI WAI brand of rice vermicelli noodles.)
If you want to make this vegetarian or vegan meal, simply remove the shrimp! The hoisin sauce in the peanut sauce is vegan-friendly, as it is made from spices and soybeans.
This Spring Roll in a Bowl is super easy to make and so refreshing. The Thai basil and mint add such a pop to flavor – it reminds me of spring and summer, which is hopefully coming soon to Chicago.
Plus, these bowls are so pretty! I couldn’t stop taking photos and had such a fun time in this shoot.
Interested in other asian inspired recipes?
- How to make Vietnamese Spring Rolls
- Tofu Shiitake Lettuce Wraps
- Coconut Black Rice Pudding
- 5 ingredient Easy Peanut Sauce
Vietnamese ‘Spring Roll in a Bowl’ w/ peanut sauce
- 6 oz rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 lb shrimp (optional)
Veggies – (use as much/little as you want)
- Cucumber, seeded
Herbs & Aromatics – (use as much/little as you want)
- Thai basil
- Green onion
For the peanut sauce
- 6 packets RX Peanut Butter (or 1 cup PB)
- 1.5 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp Lime juice
- 1 tsp Toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp Ginger, diced
- 1 tsp Mirin (rice wine)
- Cook the rice noodles: soak in warm water for 5-10 minutes. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, boil noodles for 1 minute. Drain and rinse, set aside to cool.
- Cook the shrimp (if using). Bring a large pot of water to boil. Boil shrimp for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Make the peanut sauce: put the peanut butter in a bowl. Add warm water, 1-2 tbsp at a time, until desired consistency. (I add 6-7tbsp) Add hoisin, lime, sesame, ginger, and mirin. Stir to combine well.
- Chop veggies – I like to use romaine, cucumber, and carrot.
- Chop/tear herbs – I like to use mint, Thai basil and cilantro. Try to use all 3 if you can!
- Serve spring roll bowls with noodles, veggies, herbs, and top with peanut sauce!
How to make Vietnamese Spring Rolls - The Fresh FindApril 29, 2020 at 6:11 pm
[…] If you don’t want to make the rolls, an equally delicious alternative are these Vietnamese “Spring Roll in a Bowl”! […]
5 Ingredient Easy Peanut Sauce - The Fresh FindJune 11, 2020 at 8:52 am
[…] A.K.A this Vietnamese Spring Roll in a Bowl. […]
Slow Cooker Vietnamese Pulled Pork Bánh Mì - The Fresh FindAugust 24, 2020 at 8:55 am
[…] Spring Roll in a Bowl […]
Miso-Tahini Soba Noodle Bowls - The Fresh FindOctober 12, 2020 at 9:42 am
[…] Vietnamese ‘Spring Roll in a Bowl‘ […]
Spicy Chinese Eggplant and Tofu - The Fresh FindFebruary 3, 2021 at 12:29 am
[…] Vietnamese Spring Roll in a Bowl […]